2014: The Year in Review

2014 has been an awesome year.  After seeing so many publish their Facebook year in review, I decided to publish my own.   Here’s some highlights of the year.


The “long road back” I was warned of following the car accident in 2002 continues at a glacial pace with some significant strides (pun intended).  After joining the YMCA, seeing a Spaulding physiatrist, doing another round of PT and getting a new orthodic this year, I’m walking the farthest I have since the accident.  I have no idea how far I’ll be able to go, but in December, I was able to clock .5 mile on the treadmill.  I realize .5 mile sounds like nothing to most folks, but after spending six months completely non-weight-bearing, having a broken leg for two years and spending several years in excruciating pain after walking a block, .5 mile is HUGE for me!

After so many years of doing so little walking, the issue isn’t just what my foot/leg can bear; now all muscle groups involved in walking need to be reconditioned, which is why I went to PT and joined the YMCA.  The paradoxical effects of Baclofen continue to keep the chronic pain, muscle spasms and veil of fatigue at bay, although since joining the YMCA in July (after the newly renovated pool reopened), I’ve had some setbacks as I struggle not to push too hard or too quickly.  When I get discouraged by the setbacks, my PCP likes to remind me that it wasn’t too many years ago that I needed an electric lift recliner because I was too fatigued to get up on my own.  It’s quite frustrating to hit the pain/fatigue wall, especially when it’s usually of delayed onset, but I’m thrilled with my overall progress.

My hands, due to bilateral medial and lateral epicondylitis, continue to be my primary source of pain.  I did a round of OT early in the year which brought back significant functionality.  Prior to OT, you could just look at the way I held my hands and tell they weren’t right.  I could neither open or close them all the way and had difficulty turning palms up.  OT helped and mid 2014 found my hands doing quite well, but in the last month or so, the pain, inflammation and stiffness have returned (despite continuing to stretch them).

In the last couple of months, I’ve noticed a shift from referring to “my accident” now as “the accident.”  I wonder if there’s psychological significance in that shift.  After a decade of seeing Lynda regularly (every one to three weeks depending on how I was doing), in June I decided I was doing so well that I asked her how infrequently I could see her and have her still be available should I need her guidance.  For the next year, I’m going to see her every three months and then likely go to as needed.  I’ve been seeing Lynda, a certified MSW whom I refer to as “my disability therapist,” since 2004.  She’s been my sounding board, guide and witness to my efforts to recover and find a life worth living following the accident, especially during the bleak years.  After my cat Strell (who was euthanized in 2011), Lynda has probably been the most important person in my recovery.

I’ve finally lost the Baclofen weight and am at my lowest weight in several years, with much more to lose.  It was very difficult to see Baclofen give me so much but quickly add 40 lbs in the process.  Stopping and reversing that course has been quite difficult.  I seem to lose a few pounds then plateau for weeks or months, rinse and repeat.  There was hope that beginning to exercise would help with the struggle to lose weight, but I knew better given my previous experiences.  The best we can come up with is that some of my medications, especially Baclofen, are the obstacles.  I tried titrating down and/or off a few meds, including Baclofen, but that may have contributed to the setback I had so I’m back on them.

At the YMCA, I’ve been doing mostly pool work, increasing slowly from 24 to 32 laps (25 yards) before having to decrease due to overdoing it.  I’ve focused on lap walking in the hopes that it would help me walk on land, and I think it has.  In PT, the routine I’d created was judged to be as good as anything they could create for me.  While I began with simply walking laps, my laps are now comprised of jogging, side to side/grapevine, knee lifts, kick backs, lunge walking and running backwards.  PT did add core exercises, which basically feel like I’m playing around in the pool.  The one frustration has been not being able to walk, even in the pool, without pain.  I started barefoot, but quickly went through a variety of shoes until I found a water shoe that allowed me to walk for the 30-40 minutes it took to complete my routine without inflaming my foot.  In the area where I walk on the bones of my 2nd and 3rd metatarsal, the shoe is wearing out quickly.  I just discovered some insoles I’d removed from shoes to replace with custom orthodics.  Despite not having a metatarsal pad, I’m hoping they might help.  In addition to pool work, I’ve done aqua zumba and aqua aerobics.  I look forward to new aqua classes coming in January, especially HIIT (high intensity interval training).  I’m also starting to walk on the treadmill some to see how I can progress on land.

After moving from a one bedroom to a two bedroom four years ago because I needed a live-in PCA, in June I moved back to a one bedroom.  I’m glad to be living alone again.  It’s been empowering to see that I have a difficult time finding enough work to fill three hours/week for my PCA when I used to have 20 hours/week of assistance when I previously lived alone.  Finding a reliable PCA was a nightmare, but I finally have a good one.  I don’t miss having a roommate and like that I’ve taken on a lot more household responsibilities.


For years, I’ve been planning to help put Ellie through college.  About a year ago, I told her I’d give her money.  Since then, I’ve offered a few times and she’s either not responded or told me no, so I told her to let me know when I can help.  She’s just finished up her first semester at LSU without contacting me.  It saddens me that I haven’t been a part of her life since the accident (she was 5 at the time), but I don’t want to be seen just as the aunt who just gives her money.

I found a great credit card deal (spend $500 in first three months, get $100 back), so I applied.  It’s hard to pass up a 20% return on money I’d be spending anyway.  Since I pay off my balances in full every month, it seems like free money.  I’ll probably use the card for the first three months, then set it aside once it’s served its purpose.  What’s year in review worthy is that it came with a free credit score.  I knew my score should be high, but I haven’t seen it in over a decade.  There were also the student loan issues a few years ago, so I didn’t know what effect it would have on my score.  809!  With the highest possible being 850, I suspect 809 may be the max (or near max) you can have without a mortgage and car loan.  I continue to remain debt free and save money each month.


Although I wasn’t in a primary relationship in 2014, after six years together, Marty and I spent about six months considering the possibility of a primary relationship.  Ultimately we decided to keep things as they are, so Mondays continue to be “Martyday.”  After not seeing Chris (skydiver) for most of 2013, we resumed our “irregular regular” dates.  I thought our seven year FWB relationship might come to an end with him moving to Portland for grad school, but that’s been postponed for a least a year.  One side effect of turning 50 seems to be that, for the first time, I’m actually beginning to feel a desire to “settle down.”  It’s only about 25 years late.  I’m not sure how that will play out, but here’s to 2015!


If my 2014 had a tag line, it would be, “the year I became a gamer’s board gamer.” While I continue to attend, host and enjoy events with the Boston Social Strategy (and Slightly Silly) Gamers meetup, in July I began attending the Greater Boston Cube Cartel meetup group (an offshoot of BSSG focusing on heavier games).  Initially I felt unsure and intimidated, wondering if I’d be able to keep up. Not only did I find my fear unfounded, I found myself being competitive and winning my fair share of games.  It didn’t take me long to become a die-hard member of what would quickly become my favorite meetup.  I also continue to play bridge on Thursdays with Beantown Bridge and occasionally attend Beantown Gamers at MIT.


Having always loved live theatre and following years of being spoiled as Lisa’s “theatre buddy,”  I decided 2014 would be the year I commit to being a volunteer usher for Huntington (at both Huntington and BCA) and Speakeasy (at BCA) theatre companies.  Between them,  I’ve ushered and attended several productions in 2014:  Venus in Furs, The Seagull, The Whale, Smart People, Far from Heaven, Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner (one of the best shows I’ve ever seen), Of Mice and Men (special Huntington performance), Ether Dome, Bad Jews, Awake and Sing and Necessary Monsters.  The only one I missed, sadly, was Carrie: The Musical because I didn’t include enough availability.  I really enjoy ushering and plan to continue doing so indefinitely.


Midyear, I’d thought I was doing so well that I drafted an email to see if I might return to my last employer, Boston Public Library, as a volunteer two to three afternoons a week to see if I might be employable once more.  If I was going to have a setback, I’m glad it happened before I sent the email.  Prior to the accident, career was my primary focus.  It’d be amazing to return to my career and feel like a useful and productive member of society again.  Part of the idea for volunteering was realizing that after a decade of being out of the field, I’d have a lot to catch up to do.  Another significant reason is that I don’t know how much I can handle, as evidenced by my setback after joining the YMCA.  How much I can tolerate and push myself without negative consequences has been an ongoing issue for me, but the only way to know is to test the limits.  I was disheartened to find that I wasn’t ready to attempt to return to work (walk first then work!), but even to reach the point of thinking I might attempt it is pretty amazing, and for that, I’m grateful!


Sadly, after four years (the first three of which I co-hosted), the monthly tickle parties are no more (Nina moved).  In February, I filled in for Nina as host.  In March, I attended the final tickle party.  The monthly parties were a great way to help grow an amazing tickle community in New England.  I love being tickled and have been getting far too little of it since 2013, when I lost my last regular tickling partner.  Even if I wanted to host the parties, my place is too small now that I’m back in a one bedroom.  Perhaps I should recommit to tickling in 2015 and find another regular tickler.  There’s a few guys waiting on me to set a date, so I just sent emails to schedule some tickling for January 🙂

I let go of just about all of my remaining books (several hundred) when I moved in June.  I only have about a hundred left.  I’d been significantly weeding my collection with each move, but I don’t think I realized how much loss I’d feel by not having physical collections any longer; having digital collections just doesn’t feel the same.  The best counter to that loss has been using the last of my primary bookcases (1/3 of the HUGE floor to ceiling bookcase Steve built when I moved in with him in 1990) to house my new collection of games.

Unfortunately, in December as I was on my way to host an event for BSSG, I lost a backpack with five of the games I’d acquired this year.  I retraced my steps to no avail.  At least the games I lost were lighter weight games (Pandemic, Eminent Domain, SmashUp, Coup and Love Letter).


2014 was indeed a year of being headed in the right direction.  I hope the same for 2015!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s